The Email Automation tool is still in Beta, which means that you will experience bugs and unwanted behaviour. For example, sync issues can potentially cause unsubscribed users to receive an email. Be aware of this risk.
Clerk.io can now send fully automated product-emails to users who are subscribed to your newsletters. When a campaign is set up, it will automatically find out when to send the email to each single recipient to maximise the chance of getting a sale.
These are the steps you need to go through to get started.
1. Sync Customers
The first step is to make sure Clerk.io knows which customers are subscribed at all times. This can be done in two ways:
Option 1: Through a Data Feed
Simply include customers in your existing data-feed as described here, and make sure to include the attribute subscribed for each customer.
Option 2: Through an Audience Integration
If you are using one of the following Audience Integrations, customers' subscribed status can also be synced to Clerk.io directly:
- Hubspot (not yet tested on live-webshops)
- Salesforce (not yet tested on live-webshops)
- Ubivox (not yet tested on live-webshops)
Once customers are synced, you can see them in my.clerk.io under Data -> Customers:
1. Now you need to verify the data. Go through Customers in my.clerk.io and find:
- 10 randomly picked subscribed users
- 10 randomly picked non-subscribed users
2. Compare these with the users in your Email Client/Webshop and make sure they match.
2. Configure Email Automation
The next step is allowing Clerk.io to send emails from your domain, and choosing how often emails should be sent.
1. Go to Email -> Configuration.
2. In Sender Name, write the name of your company or webshop.
3. In Sender Email, write the email address emails should be sent from
4. In Minimum Time Between Emails, you can choose the least amount of time that most pass between a recipient gets an email.
5. Fill out Average Number of Emails to Send Per Day
6. (Optional) If syncing with an Email Integration, activate it under Sync.
7. Click Register Domain
3. Configure DNS
You should now be able to see the DNS settings that you need to add to your domains DNS records, just like when you set up your Email Client.
1. Copy the TXT and CNAME codes and add them to your domains DNS settings.
2. Click Check DNS Records. If they were added successfully, the lights will become green.
4. Design your emails
Next, create the visual design for your emails. You can add any HTML and CSS to the emails that you want. In the Design you have access to both product- and customer-data that can be used through Liquid.
1. Go to Email -> Design
2. Click New Design
3. From the list of Designs, choose Email Campaign and click Create Design
4. Important! Scroll to the bottom of the Design, and replace UNSUB-LINK with the actual Unsubscribe-link from your existing emails. You can find this in the bottom of any emails you are already sending.
5. Scroll to the top, and add an image-link with your logo to the design.
6. Make any additional changes you wish, and click Update Design.
5. Create Campaigns
Now you can set up as many campaigns as you want. Each campaign will be sent to an Audience of your choosing, and contain products based on a chosen logic.
1. Start by going to Audience -> Audiences.
2. Set up a couple of Audiences matching a campaign you want to send, like Interested In a certain category or brand, One Time Buyers etc.
3. Go to Email -> Campaign and click Create A New Campaign.
4. Give it a name and click Create Campaign.
5. Configure the campaign:
- In Name your newsletter, you can see and choose the internal name and tracking label of the campaign
- In Select Design, choose the Design you created in step 5
- In Audience, choose an Audience that matches your campaign
- In Choose Product Logic, choose which type of products should be shown. For example, use Keyword recommendations for "necklaces" in combination with an Audience interested In "necklaces"
- In Email Content, you can define the text to be shown in the emails Subject line and in the body, as well as the amount of products to show.
- In Preview you can see an example of your email, and even see a preview for any email address you choose.
6. Finally, scroll to the top, click the switch and click Update Campaign to allow the campaign to send emails to your Audience.